Barcelona manager reveals his strategy to defeat Manchester United at Nou Camp

Barcelona boss Ernesto Valverde has disclosed the strategy he will deploy to defeat Manchester United at Nou Camp.

United face the Catalan giants on Tuesday night in the Champions League quarter final second leg and will need to stage another impressive comeback after Luke Shaw’s own goal on Wednesday night gave the Catalan giants the edge in the tie.

Valverde are mindful of the potential of the Red Devils in the Champions League. Despite losing to Paris Sain-Germain in the first leg by 2-0, United managed to win 3-1 in Paris last month to advance to the quarter-finals in remarkable circumstances.

But this time around, the Old Trafford club, meanwhile, must overcome a first leg deficit again in the Champions League, albeit only at 1-0 this time, as they face Barcelona away in the second leg of their quarter-final tie.

“We are aware of the potential of Manchester United, and we have to close the spaces so that they don’t have options. If they have space, they are a very strong team”, Valverde said during a pre-match press conference on Monday.

“It’s always fundamental. We know the opposition will want to counter-attack us but we won’t let that happen by playing well with the ball and moving the ball quickly. It’s not a defensive question, it’s more about going forward.

“Man Utd have won two away games in the last few minutes and we must be alert, must play our game and take the game to our opponents.

“We all take reference from what has happened in the past and use it to influence the future. But I’ve seen their games and I’m more about writing our own destiny. Tomorrow we’ll look for our destiny and Manchester United will do that too.

“Arturo Vidal? He’s got a very competitive personality. He’ll play anywhere for you. He’s not started a lot of games but he’s played many coming off the bench. The starting XI and those who come off the bench will be essential tomorrow.”

Photo Credit: fcbarcelona.com

Manchester United handed transfer blow as Juventus “agree pact” to sign Barcelona star

There are reports that Juventus have an agreement with Barcelona to sign Manchester United target Samuel Umtiti which will allow Matthijs de Ligt to move to the Camp Nou.

The World Cup winner has a contract with the La Liga leaders until 2023 but, partly due to injuries, has fallen behind Clement Lenglet this term.

Juventus are determined to re-invigorate their ageing defence especially with the retirement of Andrea Barzagli at the end of the season.

The Cameroon-born defender, who joined from Lyon in 2016, has formed a formidable central defensive partnership with Gerard Pique at the Camp Nou.

However, according to Diario AS, the Blaugrana are keen on a deal for Ajax captain and central defender de Ligt and reportedly need to raise funds in order to further first-team reinvestment.

The emergence of Clement Lenglet and the pursuit of de Ligt has clouded his future at Barca, who, as claimed by Football Espana, need to raise funds from first-team squad sales in order to add new signings.

Juve were also said to be keen to sign de Ligt but this agreement between the clubs would reportedly satisfy all parties with an amicable solution.