Arsenal defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos has blamed the club’s players for the 3-1 loss suffered at the hands of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
The Gunners were beaten at Molineux days after losing another crucial match at home against Crystal Palace which severely damaged their hopes of finishing in the top four.
According to the defence ace, the defeat had nothing to do with Unai Emery’s team selection or the formation at Molineux, where they conceded three first-half goals against a rampant Wolves, reports the Telegraph.
He said Arsenal must now win their final three games of the season – against Leicester City, Brighton and Burnley – if they are to reach the Premier League’s top four.
Wolves were dangerous throughout the game on the counter-attack and Arsenal are likely to face a similar threat against Leicester this weekend.
“It is another difficult game,” said Sokratis. “We know that another chance has gone so we have to take the points.
“If we face [Leicester] like this, we will lose. It is clear. It is not the problem of the coach, the system, it is nothing. It is just us. We have to win the next three games and it is finished.
“All the players take responsibility. We are not stupid. We know that we did not play good. We have to win all the games and be there.
“It is not time to have excuses. We have to look forward: three games more. We need to win all the games and get nine points and we will see if we can be in the top four. I trust 100 per cent in my team and the players and I think we can do it.”
Arsenal’s back-to-back defeats by Crystal Palace and Wolves have come just when it appeared that they had solved their defensive issues.
Emery’s side had conceded only once in seven games prior to Sunday’s meeting with Crystal Palace, but have now shipped six goals in the space of just two matches in four days.
Jurgen Klopp has dismissed newspapers’ stories that Liverpool will sign Napoli forward Lorenzo Insigne in the summer, saying the deal is not happening despite reported interest.
The Italian was visibly fuming after being substituted against Arsenal last week, barely acknowledging manager Carlo Ancelotti and standing away from the dugout on his own, and his relationship with boss and club is said to be at an all-time low according to the newspaper.
He was booed by his own fans during last week’s Europa League defeat by Arsenal .
Corriere dello Sport claimed earlier in the week that Liverpool were among the clubs leading the race to sign Insigne in the summer after Napoli had decided to sell their captain.
However, Klopp said at a Press conference: “We will not sign Lorenzo Insigne.
“He is a very good player but he has a long-term contract at Napoli. We will not even try it.”
Some journalists close to the Reds found the German’s remark unusual, given he does not normally address transfer rumours.
Insigne has come through the ranks at Napoli, and has scored 76 goals in 302 appearances for the Italian giants.
Manchester United surrendered the three points at stake to Manchester City through goals from Bernado Silva and Leroy Sane in the second half of the Premier League match at Old Trafford.
In a tense, edgy derby, City gradually took command after the break to seal a victory that takes the defending champions back above Liverpool with three games remaining for both clubs.
Goals from Silva and Sane after the interval wrecked a decent first half by the hosts. But the home defeat was damaging for United’s hopes of creeping into the two last vacant Champions League berths in the Premier League.
The only positive on that front, with three games to go, was that top-four rivals Arsenal were soundly beaten 3-1 at Wolves, leaving the door still ajar for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s men.
Bernardo Silva and Sterling were denied by David De Gea in a first half of few clear-cut chances.
But Man City started the second half strongly and took the lead on 54 minutes, Bernardo Silva cutting in from the right to fire past De Gea.
Gundogan, now in the midfield anchor role, advanced and then shifted right to find Bernardo where the Portuguese ran at the Reds’ defence with intent before squeezing a low shot past de Gea to send the City fans wild.
And the Blues came within a whisker of doubling the lead just minutes later with a move that cut the United defence to shreds and ended with Aguero’s low shot smacking the outside of the post.
United however, almost levelled in their next attack as a miscued Kyle Walker clearance was clipped in the six-yard box by Rashford and Jesse Lingard somehow failed to tap home, thanks largely to Kompany’s attempt at a clearance.
Jesse Lingard failed to connect with a low cross for Man Utd, and Marcus Rashford fired over from distance.
Sterling collected the ball well inside his own half, span and went past two challenges with ease before passing to the advancing Sane who powered a shot low and hard past de Gea to double City’s lead on 66 minutes.
City’s seventh PL win at Old Trafford, the most of any visiting team, moves them on to 89 points, one more than Liverpool, with three matches remaining.
Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has assured fans of the Red Devils that the team will return with a “better attitude” next season.
United suffered a seventh loss in nine games for the first time since 1962 as they fell 2-0 to Manchester City in the derby on Wednesday night.
Second half goals from Bernardo Silva and Leroy Sane condemned United to defeat, and leaves them three points behind fourth place Chelsea ahead of this weekend’s meeting at Old Trafford.
And Solskjaer admitted post-game that his side have plenty of work to do if they’re to get anywhere near closing the gap on their neighbours next season, reports the Mirror.
“In the short term we are still in the race for the top four and we know we must deliver a good performance against Chelsea [on Sunday].
“But we will have a better attitude than everyone else when we come back in the summer.”
While appraising the the standard set by Manchester City, he commended Pep Guardiola for a remarkable job he has done with the players.
“”You could see from the first minute that they wanted to show the crowd, who were incredible again,” said Solskjaer.
“The first half was decent, we held our own and created chances with some efforts. Going in to half-time we know there was a lot of work to be done, but they won deservedly because they had too much for us.
“They are the best team in the country, they have set the standard in the last two seasons.
“What Pep Guardiola has done with his players is remarkable and we are so close to it in the vicinity so we feel it every day.
“Of course we are disappointed but you can look at yourself and say we gave everything but we need to do that tomorrow and the next day, it’s about doing everything you can to close it [the gap].”
Reports in Italy claim AS Roma have made an offer of a €9.5m salary to Antonio Conte to become their new Coach.
According to Calciomercato.com, Conte recently held talks with Franco Baldini and then Roma representatives in London.
The €9.5m offer on the table is short of the €11m he was getting at Chelsea, but the website writes it is enough to tempt the former Juventus boss to consider breaking his contract with the London club.
In order to pay Conte’s salary, however, the Giallorossi would have to sell off at least two of their highest earners, with Edin Dzeko, Javier Pastore, and Steven N’Zonzi at most risk of being moved on, reports Football Italia.
Conte would also need assurances of a ‘concrete technical project’ and that he will be able to build a side who can compete with Juve.
That is where the rumours of Gianluca Petrachi joining from Torino as Roma’s new sporting director come in as he is said to be a close friend of Conte.
The Bianconeri, Inter and Milan have also been linked with the 49-year-old in recent months.