There are reports that Barcelona’s star Frenkie de Jong could become Manchester United’s first signing of the Erik ten Hag era.
Conflicting reports have surfaced about the Barcelona star over the past 24 hours. But talk of a move to Old Trafford in this summer’s transfer window is gathering momentum.
On Wednesday night, it was claimed that a deal to take De Jong to United in this summer’s transfer window was ’95 per cent done’.
And, now, Gerard Romero has insisted on Twitch that the Netherlands international will indeed become the club’s first signing.
What’s more, John Murtough is said to have driven the deal after being in talks with Barcelona ‘for months’.
“John Murtough has been speaking to Barca for months now,” he said on the platform.
“Frenkie de Jong will be Erik ten Hag’s first signing at Manchester United.”
It was Romero who, on Wednesday night, claimed a deal to take De Jong to United was moving with speed.
And that he’s now doubled down on his previous comments suggests the Red Devils are genuinely close to snapping him up.
Other reports have said De Jong is interested in a move to United.
Yet some have also suggested his preference would be to stay at Barcelona, where he’s been ever since leaving Ajax three years ago.
It’s also been mooted that De Jong would only leave Barcelona for a team playing in the Champions League as well, a tournament United won’t be in next term following their dire season under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Ralf Rangnick.
Reports have emerged over Arsenal fear that they will be unable to match Raheem Sterling’s wage demands as the Gunners explore ways of financing a move for the Manchester City forward.
Sterling, 27, is entering the final year of his deal at the Etihad and he admitted earlier this season that he would be open to a departure.
Mikel Arteta is determined to strengthen his attack in the summer, particularly as Alexandre Lacazette and Eddie Nketiah look set to depart when their contracts expire.
Arteta worked with Sterling for three years when he served as Pep Guardiola’s assistant at the Etihad and he’s been credited for much of the forward’s improvement in front of goal since he joined City, with the Spaniard tasked with working one-on-one with Sterling to improve his finishing and run-making.
Guardiola will not keep any player that is not fully committed to the club and is therefore open to selling Sterling.
However, while Arsenal could afford a transfer fee for Sterling should they finish in the top four, the forward’s £300,000-a-week wages are proving a stumbling block.
The Evening Standard claim, via the Metro, the club fear his salary demands could scupper any chances of a move and they are wary of breaking their wage structure, having recently significantly reduced it by discarding of Mesut Ozil and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.
Chelsea are open to a swap deal which would see captain Cesar Azpilicueta and Marcos Alonso going to Barcelona.
According to Spanish outlet Sport, the West London club want to sign Dest and Neto in exchange for Azpilicueta and Alonso.
The two Blues are both said to be keen on a move to Camp Nou.
The club have reportedly agreed a deal with Azpilicueta which would see him earn around £11million per-season.
Meanwhile, Xavi also wants bring in Alonso.
Nine players are expected to leave Barcelona this summer, including Dest and Neto. Both are currently surplus to requirements, so the club will likely be open to a move. Frenkie de Jong and Memphis Depay are also on the list of potential departures.