Mikel Arteta breaks silence over Chelsea hijack of Mykhailo Mudryk deal

January 15th, 2023 by Olasunkanmi Ibikunle

Mikel Arteta insists Arsenal are still looking to bring in new signings this month after losing out to Chelsea in the race to sign Mykhailo Mudryk.

The 21-year-old winger was Arsenal’s top target for the January transfer window, however, the Gunners were unable to agree a transfer fee with Shakhtar Donetsk, who were holding out for £85 million.

Arsenal’s refusal to meet that valuation allowed Chelseato move in as co-owner Behdad Eghbali and director of global transfers Paul Winstanley travelled to Turkey to negotiate directly with Shakhtar on Saturday before returning to London with Mudryk on their private jet once a €100m (£88.6m) deal had been agreed.

Arsenal are now exploring alternatives with Barcelona’s Raphinha and Brighton’s wantaway midfielder Leandro Trossard both linked with a move, but Arteta insists the Premier League leaders need to be ‘disciplined’ in the transfer market.

When asked about Arsenal’s failure to sign Mudryk, Arteta told Sky Sports: “I am very proud to have the players that we have.

We always want to try to improve the squad. The club are the first ones to try to do everything they can to improve the players we have.

“But I think we have to have some discipline and we have to be very consistent in the targets we want, but as well what we are able to do in each moment.

“We can make the players better, let’s focus on that.’

Asked if Arsenal have enough in their squad, Arteta said: “We had some injuries, some long-term injuries and this is not helpful but we can focus on tomorrow.

“Train better, train better and review the game. The window is open and we will try to improve the team.

“There are a few parties that are always involved. The club is willing, they have my support, I have their support, we will try to do it together.”

Photo Credit: ChelseaFC/Twitter

Leave a Reply