Reports in Italy claim Inter Milan boss Antonio Conte has made Marcos Alonso his main target to fill the left-back position, but Chelsea are allegedly asking for €40m to complete a transfer.
Conte brought the former Fiorentina player to London, and was a key member at Stamford Bridge when the Italian won the league in 2016-17.
The Spaniard is adept at Conte’s 3-4-3 and 3-5-2 formations, and flourishes as a wing-back.
On the two occasions Frank Lampard adopted the 3-4-3 formation so far in the season, Alonso stood out in the two matches, especially the away win against Jose Mourinho’s Tottenham last Sunday.
And, now the Gazzetta dello Sport claims Conte has made the Spanish defender his priority also during the transfer window this winter.
The newspaper claims the price could, however, stand in Conte’s way, as the Blues are not ready to let their man go for anything less than €40m.
Because of the high cost, the outlet reveals that Inter are considering making a move for PSG defender Layvin Kurzawa, as Conte is reported to be concerned about the consistency of injury prone Kwadwo Asamoah and not overly convinced about Cristiano Biraghi.
Reports in Spain claim Atletico Madrid have pulled out of a move to sign Chelsea wing-back Marcos Alonso due to his €40m valuation.
The 28-year-old is, according to Cadena Cope, have been lined up by Los Rojiblancos to replace the outgoing Filipe Luis, who is out of contract at Atleti this summer, in the backline.
Alonso is viewed as a set-piece specialist and offers a goal threat but it is questionable if the West London club will sanction his exit in light of their FIFA-imposed transfer ban.
Football Espana cite previous reports that claimed he has been in talks with Atleti over the past two months but his lack of game-time in the Europa League final victory over Arsenal is said to have hastened his decision to seek a move elsewhere.
The Spain international has fallen behind Emerson Palmieri in the pecking order at Stamford Bridge and is now said to want a return to Spanish football.
However, the exit of Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri – with whom Alonso did not have a strong relationship – to Juventus appears to have calmed his desire to leave.
Alonso came through Real Madrid’s La Fabrica youth system but did not make the grade in the first-team and has since represented several clubs, joining Chelsea from Fiorentina in 2016.