Diego Simeone reveals ‘trick’ he adopted to try to bring Lionel Messi to Atletico Madrid

Diego Simeone admits he tried to convince Lionel Messi to join Atletico Madrid this summer.

Six-time Ballon d’Or winner Messi was expected to sign a new contract at Barcelona but the Catalan giants couldn’t afford to complete the deal.

Paris Saint-Germain quickly swooped in to sign the 34-year-old, but not before Atletico had a go.

Speaking to Ole in Argentina, Simeone revealed he had Messi’s close pal Luis Suarez give him a call to see if he would be interested in reuniting at the Wanda Metropolitano.

In quotes carried by Diario AS, the Atletico boss admitted: “I’ll tell you a detail.

“With what happened at Barcelona, we called Luis [Suarez].

“With all due respect, I didn’t call Leo, but I did call Luis to ask how Messi was doing and whether he’d be willing or if there was a small chance he’d come to Atletico.

“But it was something that only lasted three hours, because PSG were already obsessed with signing him.”

(Watch Video) Rennes sink Paris Saint-Germain as Messi, Mbappe fire blank (Match Report)

Goals either side of the half time break earned Rennes the victory, with Gaetan Laborde scoring right at the end of the first half by converting a great Kamaldeen Sulemana cross and Flavien Tait adding a second just after the restart.

It had been a perfect start to the 2021/22 Ligue 1 season for Paris Saint-Germain, with eight wins from their first eight fixtures of the campaign. But, on Sunday lunchtime, the star-studded squad dropped their first points of the domestic season as they fell to a 2-0 loss at Rennes.

Lionel Messi and Kylian Mbappe had each had chances during the first half, with the former setting up the latter for an excellent opportunity halfway through the first half that the Frenchman hit well wide. A Messi freekick also struck the crossbar, so PSG were frustrated to be behind at the break.

They didn’t channel that frustration in the right way, conceding again just as the second half got underway.

That left PSG with a mountain to climb and they thought they’d cut the deficit when Mbappe finished well in the 67th minute, but that goal was ruled out for an offside from the Frenchman earlier in the move.

Photo Credit: PSG_English/Twitter

Chelsea fans put pressure on club to sign Kylian Mbappe

Chelsea fans are already clamouring for the acquisition of Paris-Saint Germain star Kylian Mbappe after their transfer ban was lifted.

Chelsea fans have called for the club to make a statement and sign Kylian Mbappe after their transfer ban was lifted.

The Blues are set to be busy in the January window after they were successful in appealing their ban

Mbappe is one of the hottest properties in Europe right now and has been linked with Liverpool and Real Madrid.

But Blues fans are desperate for Frank Lampard to make a statement and sign the Paris Saint-Germain star, report the Express.

One said: “He aint joining liverpool he’s joining chelsea if anything good luck signing mbappe tho”.

A fourth said: “We have lost Hazard, who is a top 3 player in the world RN. so we must look for at least a top 5 player to replace him.

“When I say we must sign at least one out of Dybala and Mbappe most Chelsea fans reply to me that it’s just a dream and they will join Real Madrid.”

And another is convinced it is happening, exclaiming: “Chelsea is going after Mbappe. You heard it here first.”

Lampard has confirmed Chelsea are looking at a number of options to sign in the January transfer window.

Lampard said: “I have ideas of players in my mind.

“But at the same time it’s so fluid because my feelings are on my players now, how they train — and how they perform.

Another added: “Welcome Mbappe to Chelsea”.

“If we can we should go all out for mbappe, let Chelsea ruin football again, common it’s time to unleash.” a third explained.

Photo Credit: Twitter @psg.fr

Half-Time Report: Benzema hands Real Madrid lead PSG as Courtois red card, penalty overturned by VAR

Karim Benzema’s goal separates the two sides at the break, but that is far from the big talking point, despite the hosts having the better chances.

Thibaut Courtois was given his marching orders right on half time after a foul on Mauro Icardi.

However his dismissal and the subsequent penalty were overturned by VAR!!!

Just a sensational 45 minutes of football with all the skill, wit, intensity, strategy and creativity you could possibly wish for.

Madrid the better side, for sure, but with no margin for error. Hazard’s best game in white.

Paris head to their dressing room frustrated not to be level, but they should likewise feel relieved not to be further behind.

Madrid had the better of an absorbing first 45 minutes and the visitors – kept in the game by Navas – will need to channel their frustration after the break if they wish to turn this match around.

Photo Credit: Twitter @realmadrid.com

Dani Alves pushes for Barcelona return after leaving PSG

Reports in Spain claim that former Barcelona defender Dani Alves has offered himself back to the club once he leaves Paris Saint-Germain this summer, say reports.

Alves, who is currently away on international duty with Brazil, will formally leave the Parisian club on June 30 when his contract in Paris expires.

Diario Sport lead their coverage on Monday with a report taken from Catalan radio station RAC1 that the full-back has informed the Blaugrana of his intentions.

The Catalan giants may be looking to strengthen in that position this summer as they only have one natural right-back in their squad: Nelson Semedo, report Football Espana.

However, the Portuguese defender himself has been linked with a move away this summer as he is not a regular in the side ahead of Sergi Roberto – a natural midfielder – in the position.

Alves, 36, played 391 games (netting 21 goals and providing 103 assists) with Barça between 2008 and 2016, after he joined the club from Sevilla.

Photo Credit: Sky Sports

Barcelona deny signing pre-contract agreement with Manchester United, Arsenal key target

Barcelona have reportedly rubbished reports that they signed pre-contract agreement with PSG star Adrien Rabiot.

The Catalan giants are said to have previously signed a pre-contract form with the midfielder which would mean the player is owed money by Barca even if they do not exercise their option to sign him.

Reports claim that the agreement between the two parties comes into effect when Rabiot’s contract expires on 1st July.

But, according to SPORT, Barça are insisting there is no such pact with the Frenchman.

This alleged deal was included during talks between Rabiot and Barça last summer.

Rabiot is out of contract at the Parisian club this summer and would not command a transfer fee, but his reported wage demands alongside agent fees (the player’s representative is his mother) are said to be excessive.

The 24-year-old has not featured for the first-team in over five months with the club refusing to play him until his situation is resolved, with the player seemingly intent on an exit.

Meanwhile, reports in Italy say he has agreed personal terms with Juventus despite efforts by two Premier League clubs Manchester United and Arsenal to sign the midfielder.